Not Guilty: Sean Bell’s NYPD Murderers Walk

Today the NYPD officers who slaughtered an unarmed father of two named Sean Bell received a verdict of Not Guilty. A New York State Supreme Court judge cleared officers Mike Oliver, Marc Cooper and Gescard Isnora of manslaughter and reckless endangerment this morning.

On November 25, 2006, Sean Bell was murdered on the day before his wedding in a barrage of 50 bullets. Bell and his two friends Joseph Guzman and Trent Benefield were unarmed. Bell was killed on the scene having been struck 4 times in the neck and torso. Joseph Guzman was hit 19 times and Trent Benefield, who was in the back seat, was hit 3 times – both men survived. All victims, including Bell, were handcuffed after the assault. For the full story check out MK’s post: The Destruction of the Black Family… by the NYPD.

This is a travesty.

Hundreds of protesters in New York have rebelled against the decision and are planning demonstrations, vigils and acts civil disobedience in response to the injustice. I’m personally at a loss for words. I was 23 in 2006, I have a wife and a child (on the way). This could have been me coming out of the club, unarmed – or my brother or any one of my friends that live in NY… or Durham or LA or Baltimore or Philly. How do we defend ourselves/take action against institutionalized racism? After the verdict was announced, one outraged New Yorker yelled the question, “When was the last time an unarmed white man was killed in New York City?” That’s a good question. What are our thoughts on this?

Rest in Peace, Sean Bell.

rip sean bell

7 Comments to ‘Not Guilty: Sean Bell’s NYPD Murderers Walk’:

1. Ebony C. on 25 Apr 2008 at 3:38 pm: 1

R.I.P. indeed…..criminal justice system don’t care about unfair black murders by cops. This is BS. NYPD are murderers.

2. frederick roach on 25 Apr 2008 at 4:10 pm: 2

The NYPD is looking for a few good men. Requirements, must be willing to shoot to kill innocent minorities in urban crime ridden areas. Pay per kill incentive bonus. Good bonus, and healthcare package. Immunity from prosecution. Bench trial secured before first bullet is lodged in assailants chest cavity. http://www.cafepress.com/dirtycops

3. frederick roach on 25 Apr 2008 at 4:10 pm: 3

4. Pierce on 26 Apr 2008 at 12:05 pm: 4

Obama’s (brief) response to the tragedy (thanks aden)

5. Britney McCoy on 27 Apr 2008 at 4:23 pm: 5

I was really saddened by this story and the recent “not guilty” verdict. I just cried because some things never change. But more importantly, I cried because as I strive to be a leader I really don’t know how generate effective change within our country’s various institutions. MK is right…protesting, making songs, and dialogue with these institutions are not working. RIP Sean Bell.

One Love.

6. martin on 28 Apr 2008 at 3:44 pm: 6

is this case really as simple as blackademics is making it seem?

7. webprospector on 30 Apr 2008 at 2:30 pm: 7

As Cynthia Mckinney said, lynching in the 21st Century is outrageous. It has to stop.

The mobilization behind Jena LA. was a sample of how things could be. It’s time we all understood that “we are all, Sean Bell, we are all, the Jena 6”. We all have to take a stand against these types of actions or they will never stop.