Stuff Educated Black People Like.

There is a new ridiculous and controversial blog on our blogroll, that is worth taking a look at. The blog is called, Stuff Educated Black People Like. Based on a similar site, called Stuff White People Like, this black counterpart is a self-described, “amalgamation of reality, comedy and parody”. At first glance I was offended as I read down the list, which included everything from baked chicken (#3) and natural hair (#4), to business cards (#8) and Barak Obama (#12), but when I actually started identifying with some of the categories, I lightened up a little bit. Is this a brilliant satirical critique on Black bourgeois, or just controversial entertainment? Check it out and let us know what you think.

9 Comments to ‘Stuff Educated Black People Like.’:

1. Kismet on 11 Mar 2008 at 7:47 pm: 1

Brilliant satirical critique. It succeeds in a way that the “BAP Handbook” did not because it is transparently facetious while also pointing out the obvious flaws in Black bourgeois mentality/lifestyle/culture to the Black bourgeois themselves. As of right now, I am enjoying it thoroughly. It has been on point. But we should take it seriously as a critique and consider how things like baked vs. fried chicken or fraternities and sororities (or, hell, Barack Obama and the REASONS why “educated black people” like him) show the problems of black boogiedom and, to be honest, things that black boogiedom should use as jumping off points (strengths) to lift as we climb…..

2. Ashley Wike on 12 Mar 2008 at 2:01 am: 2

LOL! I clicked on it thinking, this is going to be akin that We Love Black People website. But we shouldn’t take what they are saying as racist or politically incorrect. Because…well they aren’t wrong. I showed that list to my parents, to my colligate brethern…and they were all laughing. I’ve heard so many of us say, once we get our degrees, off to Atlanta. How many flyers have you seen for a First Friday Bash ( I used to be a frequent visitor to our Jazz Cafe’s First Friday parties). You can take this list and it opens the floodgates for debatable subjects. Which side of the fence are you one. Why is this list only pointed out towards EDUCATED black people. What do you agree about the list, what don’t you agree….I could go on…

3. Jtread on 13 Mar 2008 at 8:24 am: 3

I took a moment and read through the site. Considering that I am a college student and it’s 7:16 in the Morning, I’m watching CNN, I am a member of a fraternity and I despise fried chicken; I couldn’t help but to appreciate the satirical nature of the Website. Ultimately there are a wide range of debatable issues but In the nature of which the entries are written I am forced to take these issues in the lighthearted mannor the author intended. Another factor I would like to point out is the African-American’s continual segregation of ourselves, be it Skin Color, Educated or uneducated, (and the consequent uneducated black’s view of the educated black of “White” or an “Oreo”) While I agree that the site was not meant to cause any harm, there are several sub conscience issues at play here.

4. Ishmael on 13 Mar 2008 at 6:53 pm: 4

Under the topic heading of ridiculousness, black image, and racial rhetoric take a look at Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick (D). His state of the city speach did not just play the race card, it played the entire race deck. The really ridiculous part of the speach, besides the bullshit promises, was that it was written by a white politcal consultant and cost the city of Detroit $5,000. Of course this amount at peanuts compared to the 9 million of the cities dollars that the mayor paid to keep his adulterous affair with his chief of staff hidden from the public.

5. areaves, torino on 14 Mar 2008 at 3:29 pm: 5

this was pretty amusing. if i may, i’d offer an observation:

when i got educated, the items on the list were important.

when i started applying my education, i no longer had time for them.

6. Sondjata on 17 Mar 2008 at 8:40 am: 6

So I haven’t stepped foot in a Jazz club, or gone to a First Friday? Does that mean my time at Tuskegee was wasted?

lol

7. Leroy on 20 Mar 2008 at 10:16 am: 7

Educated Black People Like Money[period]

8. cooleyhigh on 23 Mar 2008 at 6:54 pm: 8

‘Brilliant’ or ‘just entertainment’? I don’t know… the about page for that site says in one line ‘it’s all jokes’ then the very next line reads ‘Most of this stuff is TRUE!’

Hmmm… which is it?

- Borderline Racist, http://borderlineracist.wordpress.com

9. Anali on 25 Mar 2008 at 11:35 am: 9

I just posted about this blog today. I have to admit that many on the things on the list are true. Some of them are uncomfortable truths, which make you stop and think a bit. But a lot of it is really funny!

Comments are closed.

Published on March 11, 2008 at 1:41 pm. 9 Comments.
Filed under ridiculousness, black image, racial rhetoric.